Solar Movie is one of the largest streaming websites of its kind. It has thousands of movies and TV shows, and you can stream any of them for free without an account. The Solar Movie addon allows you to access the Solar Movie website via Kodi.
The Solar Movie addon is very basic, but it does a pretty good job of allowing you to access Solar Movie content via Kodi. It also gives you a few options that aren’t available on the website. However, after testing out Solar Movie for Kodi we found that it wasn’t quite as good as our favorite movie and TV show addon Exodus.
Like Exodus, Solar Movie for Kodi features genre categories and IMDb integration. However, Solar Movie doesn’t have as many settings options as Exodus. Additionally, it doesn’t have as many content sources.
Want to learn more about the Solar Movie addon? If so, read on for a short review and installation information.
Before you use any Kodi 3rd party addon, we highly recommend that you sign up with a VPN service to protect your privacy. Kodi streamers have been known to receive copyright infringement notices for watching movies, sports, and TV shows through various addons. If you would like to keep your streaming habits private, our recommendation is IPVanish – a complete privacy solution for Kodi users.
- 1 The Solar Movie website
- 2 Using the Solar Movie website to play a stream
- 3 Installing the Solar Movie Kodi addon
- 4 Using the Solar Movie addon to play streams
- 5 Final Thoughts
The Solar Movie website
The Solar Movie website is currently located at https://solarmoviez.to. Before installing the addon, you may want to try the link to see if you can open the site. If you can’t get to the site, you probably won’t be able to use the addon unless you have a VPN service.
Note: If you live in the UK, you will definitely need some type of VPN if you want to get to the Solar Movie website. According to The Guardian, the UK court ordered the major UK ISPs to block Solar Movie in 2016.
Using the Solar Movie website to play a stream
As mentioned above, you don’t need an account to play a stream on the Solar Movie website. Just click any of the movies listed on the site to initiate playback.
The subtitles toggle switch
As you can see, Solar Movie streams have subtitles enabled by default. If you click the CC box in the lower right part of the screen, you can turn subtitles off if you want.
What to do if you run into a geo-block
If you can successfully play a stream via the Solar Movie site, you should have no problem using the Solar Movie addon. But if you’ve run into a geo-block, you’ll need some type of VPN service to access Solar Movie content.
Here are some articles that can help you learn how to install a VPN on various Kodi compatible devices:
- How to Install a VPN on Kodi for Mac OS
- How to Install a VPN for Kodi on Windows
- How to Setup a VPN on Android TV Boxes
- How to Setup a VPN on Roku
- How to Setup a VPN on Nvidia Shield
- How to Setup a VPN on Apple TV
- How to Install a VPN on Google Chromecast
Installing the Solar Movie Kodi addon
In order to get the Solar Movie addon, you have to first download and install the DandyMedia repository. The file you need is repository.dandymedia.zip, which is located at http://dandymedia.club/repo/. After you’ve installed the repo, you can install Solar Movie from its video addons section.
Here’s a step-by-step walk-through of how to install the Solar Movie addon in Kodi Krypton:
Visit http://dandymedia.club/repo/ and download repository.dandymedia.zip.
- Open up Kodi and click addons. Then, click the box icon.
- Choose install from zip file.
- Select repository.dandymedia.zip.
- Wait until the installation is complete, then go back to Kodi’s main menu and select addons again.
- Click the box icon again, but this time select install from repository.
- Choose dandymedia repository, then video addons, then solar movie.
Using the Solar Movie addon to play streams
Once you’ve got Solar Movie installed, just click the movie you want to watch and then select a source to play a stream.
Some sources will allow you to play the stream directly. However, others will require you to visit a website and enter in a code.
Though you should always be careful about what you click when you’re on the web, most authorization links are safe. Webmasters implement authorization to prevent hackers from overloading the server with Denial of Service (DoS) attacks.
The Solar Movie website is a great place to go if you want to quickly find popular movie streams online. Additionally, its built-in subtitle feature is very convenient.
The Solar Movie Kodi addon is also pretty easy to use. A handful of clicks is all that’s needed to install it, and its interface is very straightforward.
On the other hand, the fact that Solar Movie is so popular can also be a disadvantage. If you live in the UK, you won’t be able to use the Solar Movie website or addon without a VPN.
An easy-to-use, but extremely basic addon
Another thing to consider before downloading Solar Movie is the fact that its settings menu is completely blank.
- Multiple sources. Unlike the Solar Movie website, the Solar Movie addon allows you to choose from a list of sources before you load up your movie.
- Search functionality. In case you’d rather not browse, you can opt to search for a movie instead.
- Straightforward interface. The Solar Movie addon’s menu system’s graphics won’t blow you away, but at least you won’t get lost while using it.
- May not be as stable as other movie / TV addons. If the Solar Movie website changes its website URL again, there’s a chance that the addon will stop working.
- Limited sources. Other movie / TV addons have a far more extensive source list compared to Solar Movie.
- Blank settings page. If you want to adjust your language settings or filter out certain sources, you’re better off using Exodus.