If your Chromebook has Google Play, installing Kodi is easy. All you have to do is search for Kodi on Google Play and then click the install button to get the Kodi Android app. But if your Chromebook doesn’t have Google play, installation will be a bit tricker– but you may still be able to pull it off. Read on to read some advice about how to install Kodi on Chromebooks.
Before you use Kodi on any device, we highly recommend that you sign up with a VPN service to protect your privacy. Kodi streamers have been known to receive copyright infringement notices for watching movies, sports, and TV shows through various addons. If you would like to keep your streaming habits private, our recommendation is IPVanish – a complete privacy solution for Kodi users.
- 1 If you have Google Play, installing Kodi is easy
- 2 Here’s how to install Kodi if you don’t have Google Play
- 3 Turn the Kodi APK into a Google Chrome extension
- 4 Now that you’ve got Kodi, install some 3rd party addons
- 5 Are Kodi 3rd party addons legal?
- 6 Check out these awesome 3rd party sports addons
- 7 Where can I get more addons?
- 8 How can I change the way Kodi looks?
- 9 What are Kodi builds?
If you have Google Play, installing Kodi is easy
All you need to do to install Kodi on a Chromebook that has Google Play is type “Kodi” into the Google Play search bar and then click “install.”
Once the installation is complete, you’re good to go. Just pull up Kodi and use it just like you would any other kind of Chromebook app.
Here’s how to install Kodi if you don’t have Google Play
If you have an older Chromebook, you may not have the ability to download Google Play apps. However, you may still be able to get Kodi if you follow the steps listed below.
Step #1: Get Chrome OS 53
To find out if you can upgrade or not, open up your Chromebook’s settings. Click “About Chrome OS.” Then, click “Fore more info…” You should now see a section that says “Channel” and a “Change channel” button underneath.
In order to find out which version of Chrome you have, look at the number next to version. The screenshot above indicates that the current Chrome OS version is Chrome OS 32.
You can click the “Change channel” button to see if you can upgrade to Chrome OS version 53 or later.
Note: Depending on what kind of Chromebook you have, you may have to select the “Beta” or “Developer” channels to get Chrome OS 53.
Step #2: Get Arc Welder
Step #3: Download a Kodi APK
Step #4: Configure Arc Welder
First, open up the Arc Welder application on your Chromebook. Click the plus sign in the orange circle next to add your APK. This will open your Chromebook’s file folder.
Now, navigate to wherever you downloaded the Kodi APK file. Select the Kodi APK file, then click open.
Wait a few seconds for the Kodi APK to load. When it’s ready, you’ll see the test your app screen depicted below.
Now, click on the “Test” button in the lower right. It’ll take several minutes for Kodi to initialize the first time you run the test.
Once Kodi loads, you can use it just like you normally would on any other platform.
Turn the Kodi APK into a Google Chrome extension
The Arc Welder application allows you to run Kodi on Chrome OS, even if you don’t have Google Play. But what if you don’t want to go through the long process described above every time you want to run Kodi?
Thankfully, there’s a solution.
Here’s how to turn the Kodi APK into a Google Chrome extension.
Open up Google Chrome. Click the three dots in the top right-hand corner, then scroll down to more tools. Next, click extensions.
Make sure that developer mode is checked at the top of the page.
Click the load unpacked extensions button in the top left.
If you’ve already tested the Kodi APK with Arc Welder, you should be able to find a file called KODI.apk_export. Select it to add Kodi to your Chrome OS extensions.
Note: Don’t worry about the pink warning box around Kodi. It just means that the extension wasn’t created in the “normal” way.
Once you have Kodi setup as a Google Chrome extension, you can use it just like a normal extension. Just click the Kodi icon when you’re ready to use Kodi.
Now that you’ve got Kodi, install some 3rd party addons
The first thing you might want to do after you setup Kodi is try out a few 3rd party addons.
3rd party Kodi addons are made by developers that are not affiliated with (or endorsed by) the people that make the official Kodi software.
With 3rd party addons, you can stream just about any type of content you can imagine: HD movies, TV shows, live sports games, anime, documentaries, foreign language channels, cartoons and much, much more.
The best part about 3rd party addons is that they are nearly all of them are 100% free.
Here are some links to some addon guides that will help get you started:
- Best Kodi Addons 2017 – The Complete Guide. Are you totally new to the concept of Kodi addons? If so, our 2017 guide is a great place to start.
- Best Live TV Addons for Kodi 2017 – Watch Live TV on Kodi. Live TV feeds tend to go up and down a lot. But if you have the best and most up-to-date live TV addons, you’ll run into less dead links.
- Best Kodi Addons for Movies 2017 – Watch Movies on Kodi. Gain access to thousands of new and classic movies by downloading and installing these awesome movie addons.
- Best HD Video Addons for Kodi 2017 – Watch HD Movies on Kodi. This article focuses on movie addons that have large HD movie catalogs.
- Best Kodi Addons for Cartoons 2017 – Watch Cartoons on Kodi. Get these addons and your kids will be able to watch their favorite Saturday morning cartoons any time of the day.
Are Kodi 3rd party addons legal?
You don’t have to give out your email, sign up for free trials or wade through pop-ups to use 99% of all 3rd party Kodi addons. As a result, many Kodi users are opting to cancel their cable subscriptions.
For more info about the legality of Kodi, read this article:
Check out these awesome 3rd party sports addons
Sports fans love Kodi because it allows them to watch games that they wouldn’t ordinarily be able to see. Here are just a few of our best articles about 3rd party sports addons.
- Best Live Sports Addons for Kodi 2017 – Watch Live Sports on Kodi. This article is an awesome resource for getting familiar with best sports addons that Kodi has to offer.
- Watch NFL on Kodi 2016-2017 Season – Live Stream Guide. These NFL addons allow you to watch American football games online for free.
- Watch College Football on Kodi 2016-2017 – Live Stream Guide. Watch your favorite college football team live with these awesome college football centric addons.
- How to Watch NBA on Kodi 2016-2017 Season – NBA Kodi Addons. This article reveals how to get all the best professional basketball addons.
- How to Watch College Basketball on Kodi – NCAA on Kodi. When March Madness rolls around, just fire up Kodi and pull up a stream.
- How to Watch UFC on Kodi: Best MMA/UFC Kodi Addons. If you’re into mixed martial arts, you won’t go wrong with these addons.
- Watch English Premier League (EPL) on Kodi 2016-2017. If you live outside of the UK, EPL games are hard to find– but not if you know which addons to use.
Where can I get more addons?
The best way to quickly discover and download new addons is through Kodi repositories. Repositories are also known as “repos.”
The best 3rd party repos come with menus that allow you to easily browse and install new addons.
Another good thing about repositories is that they keep your addons up-to-date. If you download an addon without also installing the repository that goes with it, you’ll miss out when the developer pushes out updates. If you don’t get the updates, your addons will eventually stop working. Stream sources go up and go down all the time.
For more info about Kodi repositories, read this article:
How can I change the way Kodi looks?
The default version of Kodi is easy enough to use, but its design is a little bit plain. If you want to change the way Kodi looks, what you need is a new Kodi skin.
Check out the article below to view screenshots of 10 of Kodi’s most popular skins.
What are Kodi builds?
Kodi build are all-in-one packages that change the look and feel of Kodi and also come with a set of hand-picked addons.
If you want to quickly try out a bunch of new addons that you may have never heard of before, Kodi builds are your best bet.
Here are 3 of our favorite builds.
Team Wookie is a group of 4 Kodi developers that work together to create builds, wizards and addons for Kodi.
“WE ARE LIKE A HAIRIER VERSION OF THE SPICE GIRLS, READY TO OFFER YOU THE MUST HAVE BUILD IN SPMC AND KODI.” – WOOKIESPMC.COM
For more about Wookie, check out this article:
The team at Top Tutorials are behind one of the most maintained and updated builds there is: Ultra TT. Ultra TT is lightweight, fairly well-organized, streamlined and ultra fast.
For more info, check out:
Apollo is the biggest Kodi build I’ve encountered so far. Even though it’s a little sluggish compared to lightweight Kodi builds, it looks great, has a ton of addons and comes with a full-featured installation wizard that advanced Kodi users will love.
For more info, check out: